Monday, November 22, 2010

Vikings Fire Brad Childress, Name Leslie Frazier Interim Coach

The Minnesota Vikings fired head coach Brad Childress and named defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier their interim coach, the team announced in a statement.

Vikings fans chanted "Fire Childress!" throughout Sunday's 31-3 debacle of a loss to the Green Bay Packers, and now they've gotten their wish.

The firing comes just 10 months after Childress was coaching the Vikings in the NFC championship game. But almost everything that could go wrong this season has gone wrong as Minnesota has stumbled to a 3-7 record -- Brett Favre came back but is having a disappointing season; the Vikings traded for and subsequently released Randy Moss; and several players spoke out in the media to make it clear that they didn't respect Childress.

And now it has come to an end. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has seen enough, and Childress will no longer be the Vikings' head coach.

"The past five years have been a tremendous experience for my family and I as the Head Coach of the Minnesota Vikings," Childress said in a statement. "I have a great respect for the players and coaches who I have worked with and for their dedication to each other and to the organization. I am proud of our accomplishments and believe the foundation of this football team is stronger today than when I became Head Coach in 2006. I appreciate the opportunity that Zygi, Mark, and the whole Wilf family afforded me and wish them success as they move forward."

No comments: