Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pete Sampras' Trophies, Memorabilia Stolen

Pete Sampras lost a majority of the valuable artifacts of one of tennis' greatest careers when trophies and other memorabilia were stolen from a public storage facility.

While Sampras still has 13 of his 14 Grand Slam trophies, he is now missing his first Australian Open trophy (from 1994) as well as trophies from 64 tour tournaments, an Olympic ring, seven ESPY awards, six trophies for being the world's No. 1 player in year-end rankings, and what he was presented for five season-ending ATP World Tour titles, two Davis Cup victories and 11 ATP Masters event titles.

"Losing this stuff," he said, "is like having the history of my tennis life taken away."

Sampras (pictured right with the 1995 Wimbledon trophy) had rented two storage units to house the memorabilia and furniture while his family was in the process of moving, and everything but some of the furniture was taken. Sampras didn't insure the items because he says there was no way to assess all of its value.

Police have no leads in the case, but an investigation is ongoing. Sampras was encouraged to go public in hopes of someone stepping forward with information.            

"I'm not one to gloat about trophies, or show them off," Sampras said.   "I've never been like that. I just want them for my kids to see. They   didn't see me play, but I'd like them to see these things."

"For me to have it for my kids is priceless," he continued. "I just hope  it  hasn't already been destroyed. That's why I wanted to get the word  out  now. I know this is a longshot, but I'd regret it if I didn't at  least  try. Maybe somebody knows something. That's all I can hope for."   

http://www.BestVirginiaBeachShop.com

No comments: